To commemorate the Bicentenary of Bass’ & Flinders’
circumnavigation of Van Diemen’s Land, the Tasmanian Quilting Guild Inc.
challenged its members to make a small quilt to depict “What Bass &
Flinders Saw”on their 1798 voyage in the Norfolk.
Fifteen quilts were made, each reflecting a different aspect of the
voyage, but you may notice that several quilters have incorporated the view
through the ship’s spy-glass and also used Flinders’ Log and maps for
For several years after completion the quilts travelled as a suitcase
exhibition to many parts of Tasmania and most mainland
states. They were
about to be handed back to their makers, when a permanent and appropriate home
was found for them in George Town’s Bass & Flinders Centre, alongside the
The local “Wilted Quilters” group provided funding
for the Perspex in the display case, which was made by local woodworker Des
Wootton, and they were installed just in time for the official opening of the
Centre in November 2006. (click the images for more detail)